By the fans, For the fans!
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GAFF-ney CUT!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:31 pm 
Optimistic Overlord

Jabbar Gaffney cut.. TE Kyle Miller signed from Colts PS.

Let the front office thrashing continue.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on FriendFeedShare on DiggShare on MySpaceShare on DeliciousShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: GAFF-ney CUT!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:35 pm 

I had a feeling this was going to happen. He dropped a big pass. Missed the last game. Didn't seem to be contributing much. I still say he was a good number three. Maybe this means they are going to give the young'ns like Matthews and Moore a closer look. Or, maybe it just meant Gaffney sucked.

That, my friends, says it all.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:58 pm 
Optimistic Overlord

Supposed Gaffney was hurt again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:03 pm 

Gaffney was a good signing, but he just couldn't get healthy. Plus, I think Matthews showed enough last week to earn a another look against Seattle.

I don't know a damn thing about Kyle Miller other than he's got great size (6'5", 260), but I will say this: Egnew must be absolute garbage if we had to pick up another team's scraps at the TE position.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:24 pm 

I said that too, when I saw we picked up yet ANOTHER TE. What is that now? Eight TE's on the roster? And, not a one of them can make a play. I wouldn't mind if they sent this dude to the PS and promoted Egnew. Well, not even a promotion, just to see if the guy has ANY skills at all.

Do they really think that after an entire year of PS the light is magically just going to come on for the guy next year? Wouldn't think so.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:57 pm 

Finally Matthews gets a chance to get some run!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:24 pm 
Site Columnist

Looking forward to seeing Matthews more. He did a good job on the limited time he was in game last week.

Not surprised about Gaffney. I guess they should have considered addressing the glaring hole left by trading away their No. 1 before the season started. Vincent Jackson would have been nice.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:58 pm 

Degarmo wrote:
Looking forward to seeing Matthews more. He did a good job on the limited time he was in game last week.

Not surprised about Gaffney. I guess they should have considered addressing the glaring hole left by trading away their No. 1 before the season started. Vincent Jackson would have been nice.

Yeah. Did you see him making plays last week against The Panthers? A wide receiver making plays. Imagine that!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:30 am 
Site Columnist

JMP wrote:
Gaffney was a good signing, but he just couldn't get healthy. Plus, I think Matthews showed enough last week to earn a another look against Seattle.

I don't know a damn thing about Kyle Miller other than he's got great size (6'5", 260), but I will say this: Egnew must be absolute garbage if we had to pick up another team's scraps at the TE position.

Agreed, JMP. It was worth kicking the tires on Gaffney because he was coming off a 963-yard season just last year with Rex Grossman at QB. But he's 32, can't play ST's, and has no long-term value.

Matthews deserves the opportunity. When he finally got on the field last week, he caught 19-yard pass and drew a 24-yard pass interference penalty on an offense that failed to make a play longer than 19 yards in the previous 2 weeks. I want to him settle in as the #4 WR, with Bess as #3, Hartline as #2 (if/when re-signed). Then, we add a WR in the 1st/2nd round or sign one in FA to complete the unit.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:56 am 

Mathews is a solid playmaker. I'm glad he finally gets the chance to show what he's got. He isn't the fastest when clocked but he's got good game speed. He has a way to find the weak spots in the secondary and strength to drag defenders with him.

Profile E-mail