By the fans, For the fans!
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: GAFF-ney CUT!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:42 pm 

NYF wrote:
JMP wrote:
Gaffney was a good signing, but he just couldn't get healthy. Plus, I think Matthews showed enough last week to earn a another look against Seattle.

I don't know a damn thing about Kyle Miller other than he's got great size (6'5", 260), but I will say this: Egnew must be absolute garbage if we had to pick up another team's scraps at the TE position.

Agreed, JMP. It was worth kicking the tires on Gaffney because he was coming off a 963-yard season just last year with Rex Grossman at QB. But he's 32, can't play ST's, and has no long-term value.

Matthews deserves the opportunity. When he finally got on the field last week, he caught 19-yard pass and drew a 24-yard pass interference penalty on an offense that failed to make a play longer than 19 yards in the previous 2 weeks. I want to him settle in as the #4 WR, with Bess as #3, Hartline as #2 (if/when re-signed). Then, we add a WR in the 1st/2nd round or sign one in FA to complete the unit.

I agree with both of you.

CarsonChris wrote:
Mathews is a solid playmaker. I'm glad he finally gets the chance to show what he's got. He isn't the fastest when clocked but he's got good game speed. He has a way to find the weak spots in the secondary and strength to drag defenders with him.

I am excited to see some of our youngsters not only play but look ok.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on FriendFeedShare on DiggShare on MySpaceShare on DeliciousShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:01 pm 

Quote:
Mathews is a solid playmaker. I'm glad he finally gets the chance to show what he's got. He isn't the fastest when clocked but he's got good game speed. He has a way to find the weak spots in the secondary and strength to drag defenders with him.

Right now we don't know any of those things for sure. I like his potential, but he needs to show it in games. I'm glad he'll finally have that opportunity.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:38 am 

I TOLD everybody signing Gaffney would just be a waste of time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:33 pm 

JMP wrote:
Quote:

Right now we don't know any of those things for sure. I like his potential, but he needs to show it in games. I'm glad he'll finally have that opportunity.

I agree that it is just a little too early to be singing the praises of Matthews, as if it is a given that he is going to be anything more than the project his draft status says he is going to be.

What sample size does anyone have of him throughout his first year in the pros? Yes, he did look good in preseason, and has done a couple nice things in the one game he played in, but let's just hold off a bit before we anoint him as the 3rd WR next year.

I like the guy and HOPE he shows that he can be a player. But, IMO it is WAY too early to basically call him a "sure thing", as I get the sense that some here are already doing.

That, my friends, says it all.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:51 pm 

scotgif1 wrote:
IMO it is WAY too early to basically call him a "sure thing", as I get the sense that some here are already doing.

Agree and I am just saying I liked what I saw of him in his limited action.

I am glad to be able to see more.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:36 am 
Site Columnist

Matthews shows something each time he hits the field. I hope he keeps it up. I've got a good feeling about this kid. But I've been known to be wrong before, from time to time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:35 am 

I watched this guy play at Nevada. The bigger the game the better he played

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:10 pm 

Quote:
The Dolphins cut receiver Jabar Gaffney on Wednesday, a day before the league suspended him for two games.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Gaffney’s suspension arises from an incident that occurred in Miami during the week preceding Super Bowl XLIV. After a traffic stop, Gaffney was detained for resisting arrest without violence. He recently completed a pre-trial diversion program, at which time the league first became aware of the situation.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... 10-arrest/

Profile E-mail