By the fans, For the fans!
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Have You Guys Considered . . .
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:34 am 
Omnipotent Ombudsman

I know Ireland is an EPIC FAIL at building a SB contender, but let's not equate the man with the freakin' Black Death already!!!

One GM who can identify a few playmakers, either in the draft or in free agency, and the Phins could be contenders IMHO.

Just imagine what ONE VERY GOOD speed deep threat WR that FORCED the opposing defense to account for on every play would have meant to the Phins THIS SEASON?

Just imagine what ONE BALL HAWKING DB or Safety would do for this defense?

Just imagine what ONE pass rushing threat to go opposite Wake would mean for the Phins defense?

Just imagine if the Phins had a TE...er...I mean one that could actually block and make LBs looke silly trying to cover him.

Keeping Ireland doesn't necessarily mean abject suckitude, and in no way means the franchise is doomed to another ten years of losing seasons IMHO.

We have to hope Philbin continues to make a difference on the drafting and personnel if Ireland is kept.

It will not be the best scenario, I agree, but it ain't necessarily the worst thing that could happen either.

Ross could load the team up in the middle of the night and move to LA!

Now THAT would be awful.

;)

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on FriendFeedShare on DiggShare on MySpaceShare on DeliciousShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:01 am 

Quote:
Just imagine what ONE VERY GOOD speed deep threat WR that FORCED the opposing defense to account for on every play would have meant to the Phins THIS SEASON?

Just imagine what ONE BALL HAWKING DB or Safety would do for this defense?

Just imagine what ONE pass rushing threat to go opposite Wake would mean for the Phins defense?

Just imagine if the Phins had a TE...er...I mean one that could actually block and make LBs looke silly trying to cover him.

Keeping Ireland doesn't necessarily mean abject suckitude, and in no way means the franchise is doomed to another ten years of losing seasons IMHO.

But here's the thing: Fireland has had 5 years to get a speed threat at WR, a ball-hawking DB, a pass rush, a seam-busting TE, etc. - and he hasn't been able to get ANY of those things. Why should I expect things to be different in year 6????

It's like JL used to post: the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Quote:
We have to hope Philbin continues to make a difference on the drafting and personnel if Ireland is kept.

How good was this last draft, really? Maybe we got a QB...jury's still out there. But otherwise, we got more back-ups, busts and role players. All well and good if you already have a solid nucleus in place...but we don't.

And as for free agency...YUCK!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:54 pm 
Omnipotent Ombudsman

Well, I wasn't saying Ireland was going to find those players....

That was why I said....

Quote:
One GM who can identify a few playmakers, either in the draft or in free agency, and the Phins could be contenders IMHO.

The point I was attempting to make is that a GOOD GM could make this team immeasurably better by getting one (or dare we hope for two...) playmakers. Right now the difference in the Phins and some of the playoff contenders is playmaking IMO. As it stands now, the Phins have to execute at a near flawless level to win, and there is no margin for error. Given any sort of playmaking by the offense and/or a playmaker on the defense, this team could take another step.

I doubt Ireland is the man to identify the necessary playmakers, but, he is not the ETERNAL RUINATION of the Phins as some are trying to paint him.

He is just a GM who stinks. Let's not make it out like Ireland's stench cannot be wiped away by the GM that can find some playmakers.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:29 pm 

Quote:
I doubt Ireland is the man to identify the necessary playmakers, but, he is not the ETERNAL RUINATION of the Phins as some are trying to paint him.

He is just a GM who stinks. Let's not make it out like Ireland's stench cannot be wiped away by the GM that can find some playmakers.

OK, I got you now. And I agree to a point. A real GM could absolutely put this team in position to contend in a short time. But it won't happen overnight...far too many holes to fill in just one offseason. And the longer Fireland stays, the bigger the mess he'll eventually leave behind.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:02 am 
Site Columnist

If we get a good GM, I promise not to give two shits about Jeff Ireland again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:37 am 
Omnipotent Ombudsman

JMP wrote:
Quote:

OK, I got you now. And I agree to a point. A real GM could absolutely put this team in position to contend in a short time. But it won't happen overnight...far too many holes to fill in just one offseason. And the longer Fireland stays, the bigger the mess he'll eventually leave behind.

Well, I agree, to a point, but as I said, just one or two playmakers would make a drtamatic difference IMO. Good coaching has made a word of difference even with the talent disparity this Phins team faces week in and week out. Give this coaching staff some playmakers and I think we may see a HUGE step forward.

Look at how many more games the Phins would have won THIS season given just a bit better play making from the offense and/or defense. That one DB who can actually cover a WR....the safety who actually is in position to defend or intercept a pass....that big TE who can actually run the deep middle and catch a pass.....

This coaching staff has done a great job of turning chicken feathers into a passable imitation of chicken salad, but to take the next step, they have to have something that looks like a playmaker or three IMO.

But I agree, the Phins are a fair distance from SB contender. But solid playoff contender? That could be accomplished in one season ...IF...IF the right moves are made.

And I agree...Ireland should be jettisoned ASAP.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:08 am 

Quote:
And the longer Fireland stays, the bigger the mess he'll eventually leave behind.

Yes.

And THIS is the pivotal offseason. A good GM can take THIS offseason and fill a ton of holes on this roster. We are in prime position RIGHT NOW for a number of reasons:

1. We have a fully loaded stock of draft picks to work with - I think 5 in the first 3 rounds?
2. We are on the way to another sub-500 season, which means our draft position will be top 15 or even top 10 every round.
3. We have A TON of free agents. Yes, a challenge and a drawback in some ways. However, this gives even more flexibility in shaping the roster by retaining only those players where it makes sense, and filling out the roster with some of those journeymen free agents that will be competing with rookies for starting spots.

It's a great recipe for a total reshaping and restocking of the team. But you HAVE to draft well, really well, and those free agents you bring in must be at least a threat to win starting spots - if not then providing real, quality depth.

If THIS OFFSEASON is wasted, we will have used draft picks and salary cap space on yet more of the same bullshit players, and we may not have this unique opportunity in quite some time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:51 pm 

white1 wrote:
It's a great recipe for a total reshaping and restocking of the team. But you HAVE to draft well, really well, and those free agents you bring in must be at least a threat to win starting spots - if not then providing real, quality depth.

If THIS OFFSEASON is wasted, we will have used draft picks and salary cap space on yet more of the same bullshit players, and we may not have this unique opportunity in quite some time.

Problem is, we have said this same thing before. If the same person is allowed to bungle and waste picks and sign Free Agents that not only do not contribute, but are not even on the team anymore, and in SOME cases are not even IN the league anymore, then it will only set the team back ANOTHER five years.

ross! Hire a new GM.

That, my friends, says it all.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:45 pm 
Omnipotent Ombudsman

Well, Philbin is firmly entrenched now. I hope he starts having more say in the personnel matters.

I am firmly convinced Philbin was the main reason Clyde Gates got cut. Ireland loved that goober for his measurables.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:49 pm 

IMO, Tannehill might not be where he is at right now if it wasn't for Mike Sherman and if Miami does get a new GM, they might keep the same coaching staff for that reason.

Profile E-mail