By the fans, For the fans!
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seahawks S Thomas fined for hitting Tannhill
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:59 pm 
Lead Moderator

Apparently the league office agrees with the roughing the passer call that overturned the INT then led to a Dolphin's TD.

Quote:
And it was the right call.  Quarterbacks are protected against forcible blows to the head, whether in or out of the pocket.  Thomas, who jumped to block the pass, hit Tannehill forcibly in the head as Thomas was landing.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... tannehill/

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on FriendFeedShare on DiggShare on MySpaceShare on DeliciousShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Seahawks S Thomas fined for hitting Tannhill
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:13 pm 

BS call, BS what badell is turning this league into. I guess the guy was just supposed to stop in mid air and avoid contact with the quarterback, who, just by the way, was trying to throw the ball into the end zone for the game winning TD.

Question for everyone saying that is was the correct call and the defender was an idiot for putting himself in the position to get the call. What if it was our only playmaker on defense, Cam Wake, who got called for the same exact thing on Russell Wilson? Would you then bemoan the idiotic, Dolphins-biased refs, who, once again, screwed us?

I, for one, think we would have at LEAST a ten-page thread about it called "BULLSHIT ROUGHING CALL ON WAKE".

Funny thing how people's opinion of something can be based on if it affects you, or goes for or against you. NOT on the actual issues.

That, my friends, says it all.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:52 pm 
Site Columnist

If Wake hit him in the head, then it'd be a penalty. It's pretty cut and dried nowadays.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:56 pm 

You have to be in control now. If you leave your feet you are in the refs and interpration of the current rules out of control. He left his feet and hit him in the head. That is against the rules. When I got a speeding ticket for going 5 miles per hour over the speed limit because I wasn't paying attention, I didn't intend any harm but the cop still wrote it up. Same thing IMO.

Do you agree with launching yourself at a "Defensless Receivers" and just wiping them out? I mean that was part of the game but that rule was changed.

The way the league and for the most part teams look at it is the they have huge mounts of money invested in what everyone says is the the most important position on the field - QB.

Last edited by Joe Fin on Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:59 pm 

yup, someone's hand brushing the Qbs head has been called, why not this. I know he can't stop in midair. These athletes can kill a guy these days. I say good call.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:42 pm 
Lead Moderator

That quote in my original post is from a journalist who to the best of my knowledge has no ties to Miami, and both he and the league say it was the right call based on *the rules*. You can't hit QBs in the head - period. He did.

The "he can't stop himself from falling" argument doesn't work - because are you telling me Thomas couldn't recognize where he would land before he jumped?!?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:19 pm 

It was clearly a penalty. I don't understand why there's any controversy. If you hit or even touch the QB's head, it's a penalty. End of story.

Now, if you want to say that the rule is stupid, I wholeheartedly agree. But it is what it is.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:00 am 
Site Columnist

Thomas took a risk by trying to get the ball. If he gets the ball, or keeps his hands up instead of bringing them down around Tannehill's neck and head as they go to the ground, no call is made. Instead he hit him in the head.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:43 am 
Omnipotent Ombudsman

If you don't like the rule, I can understand, but it is the rule. The Ref made the right call.

I saw Starks (or somebody else on the Phins) get the same call for simply brushing his hand over the QBs face mask awhile back, didn't I?

I bet Philbin had a stern word or two for T-hill about that dumbarsed pass afterward though. :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:32 pm 

That how things are working now a days in the NFL. The defense get no love with the rules.

Profile E-mail