By the fans, For the fans!
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Martin versus Long
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:55 am 

JMP wrote:
No way. We need to stockpile playmakers, not just add one. Taking offensive linemen in round one is one of the things that's gotten us into this mess. We can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect different results.

Had Ross not forced him to take Tannehill then Ireland would've made Riley Reiff his first pick last year, I really believe that. Reiff was only the second O-lineman drafted at #23 BTW. Seems most of the league is catching on that you don't spend a high pick on a non-playmaking position.

I'm giving the 2013 draft a grade of F. I know it's still months away from actually happening, but why wait when I know what the outcome will be already?

Oh yeah, almost forgot. :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

:evilgrin:

I strongly doubt that either Joe Philbin or Mike Sherman can successfully pleasure their wives.

"When you keep cutting your own throat, eventually you run out of blood"--Fred Smerlas

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on FriendFeedShare on DiggShare on MySpaceShare on DeliciousShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:00 pm 

there is a high chance that he might draft an OT.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:42 pm 
Lead Moderator

So, how would everyone feel if Miami uses up $15 mil of it's cap space by franchise tagging Long?

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... jake-long/

I think many of us think it's a foregone conclusion that Miami will let Long test the market and likely get a better deal elsewhere, but don't be surprised if Miami decides to tag Long. Miami would have some leverage in a long term deal or could look to trade Long rather than simply let him walk (which would a compensatory pick, possibly as high as a third rounder depending on the size of his contract).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:56 pm 

Tagging Long would be a colossal mistake, as it would greatly hamper our ability to sign other players. We have far too many holes to tie up $15 million in a declining player at a non-impact position. If Long is tagged, it'll tell me that Fireland hasn't changed at all.

:deadhorse:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:18 pm 

I would have to agree with JMP. Ireland would be a fool to tag a player that is not producing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:00 am 

Franchising Long would be an even bigger mistake than drafting him to begin with.

I strongly doubt that either Joe Philbin or Mike Sherman can successfully pleasure their wives.

"When you keep cutting your own throat, eventually you run out of blood"--Fred Smerlas

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:23 pm 

BIG mistake. I cannot see it happening. If it does.... woe is us.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:12 pm 

That's exactly what Miami should do if it has no other choice, tag Long for one year we don't need another whole. For everyone saying it's not an impact position why are 2 going to be gone in the first 5 or 6 picks. If we can find a replacement for him for cheaper I'm all for it, tagging him gives Martin more time to grow into the position. Well still have some money this year for FA and then some next year. Now that we have a QB everyone thinks he doesn't need protection. Martin at LT next year gets Tannehill hammered. Needless to say a backup at RT does the same.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:19 pm 

Doug wrote:
That's exactly what Miami should do if it has no other choice, tag Long for one year we don't need another whole. For everyone saying it's not an impact position why are 2 going to be gone in the first 5 or 6 picks.

I'd wait until the draft before I made such bold pronouncements. But maybe that's just me :poke:

I was calling him Matador Martin in preseason but he got better. He can't be any worse at LT than Long was this season.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:23 pm 
Optimistic Overlord

Mask Of Winters wrote:
Doug wrote:
That's exactly what Miami should do if it has no other choice, tag Long for one year we don't need another whole. For everyone saying it's not an impact position why are 2 going to be gone in the first 5 or 6 picks.

I'd wait until the draft before I made such bold pronouncements. But maybe that's just me :poke:

I was calling him Matador Martin in preseason but he got better. He can't be any worse at LT than Long was this season.

The point is.. Even if he isn't ever quite as good. He will cost about 6 million over the next 5 years.. and not 45 or the wishful 50 million Jake is wanting. Not worth it. He's not enough finesse for this offense. Let him walk. Sign Clady if you want a good Tackle that will fit this system. He won't cost as much and fit way better.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next