By the fans, For the fans!
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Ireland admits he went against philosophy to draft Tanne
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:04 am 

Mask Of Winters wrote:
NYF wrote:
Reiff was projected to go Top-10 until just weeks before the draft. Then he fell..and...fell... to the #23 pick. DeCastro was picked #24. But.. right.. Steve Ross broke into the War Room and overruled Ireland on taking Reiff over Tannehill.

What does Reiff falling have to do with Ross forcing Ireland to take a QB? It's not as if Ireland's never traded down in the first before...

Quote:
Man oh man.. just admit you were wrong in your 5-month "Ireland will never draft a QB in the 1st Round" tirade, and move on.

I will when *he* drafts one without Ross staring and glaring a hole in him. That part's not even debatable, it was RIGHT THERE on video for the whole world to see! Now WHY would Ross even be anywhere NEAR that close to Ireland, looking RIGHT AT him the way he was, if Ireland was just going to take a QB anyway, hmmm? :poke:

BTW why are you so happy about proving me "wrong" in a draft in which a complete bust was taken in the 3rd and no WR was taken until the 6th? :thinkinghard:

Ross already made it known this year he expects a top receiver....I think Ross is having an impact on Ireland's decisions. If your boss says he wants something you make it happen or he becomes your former employer.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on FriendFeedShare on DiggShare on MySpaceShare on DeliciousShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:33 am 

Quote:
Ross already made it known this year he expects a top receiver....I think Ross is having an impact on Ireland's decisions. If your boss says he wants something you make it happen or he becomes your former employer.

Yep. Last year Ross told the world over and over that he expected a QB...and Fireland drafted one in round 1 for the first time on any team he's ever been employed by. So, yeah, I think we can expect a WR in round one if Fireland wants to stick around.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:56 pm 

Cordarelle Patterson, perhaps? ;) :)

I strongly doubt that either Joe Philbin or Mike Sherman can successfully pleasure their wives.

"When you keep cutting your own throat, eventually you run out of blood"--Fred Smerlas

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:14 pm 
Optimistic Overlord

Mask Of Winters wrote:
Cordarelle Patterson, perhaps? ;) :)

I think we would all be happy with that!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:54 am 

JMP wrote:
Quote:
a draft in which a complete bust was taken in the 3rd and no WR was taken until the 6th

Come, on MoW...cut Fireland some slack. After all, it was his first draft. He spent the first 4 years of his Dolphins' tenure baking cookies for Parcells. Give him time.

:deadhorse:

Baking cookies? I think he was on his knees.......Talk about a Tuna hoogie. :makeout:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:31 am 

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

Now that is worse than ANYTHING *I* ever posted about the man.

And it's absolutely hilarious!!! :devil:

But seriously, the philosophy's gotta change. To, like, the complete opposite.

"Hulk Smash!" football is obsolete. Speed and playmaking is what the NFL's about now.

I strongly doubt that either Joe Philbin or Mike Sherman can successfully pleasure their wives.

"When you keep cutting your own throat, eventually you run out of blood"--Fred Smerlas

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:49 am 

I will admit, the Marshall acquisition did shock me. We went all out for a receiver, young, in his prime with huge numbers in each of his seasons in the league. A proven playmaker.

This is the hope I cling to. At some point, self preservation has to kick in. We must look around the league and start wondering, what do we need to do different? At some point, if what you're doing isn't working - you gotta do something else.

I think the character and mental makeup we look for will not change. Hopefully the prototype size is thrown out the window, with more emphasis on speed and the capability to make plays. Too many exceptions to list, but one I'll throw out is Ahmad Bradshaw. Smaller than the prototype back, but he had power, speed, playmaking and was probably the toughest player in New York. They found him in the seventh round.

Maybe later in the draft, it's time to depart from prototype and look for something else? A first round pick should be a lead pipe lock, and generally we have had success there. Sure we can debate Ryan - Long all day, and we have. But we haven't really had a true all-out bust there.

Value is all well and good - on day 2 and three of the draft. In round one, forget about value, let's find a freaking playmaker. That can impact the passing game - offense or defense.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:34 pm 
Site Columnist

Although we have had some decent players picked in the first round, I'd still say that most of them weren't value picks because we could have had players with a lot more productivity in the same spots. Value picking in the first round is for 7-9 football teams. Round 1 is supposed to be where you find stars.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:24 pm 

Quote:
Round 1 is supposed to be where you find stars.

Yes, absolutely....but it is also where you find above average starters. Every team has it's share of early picks who contribute well, but are not necessarily stars.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:10 pm 

Finsfan4ever wrote:
Quote:
Round 1 is supposed to be where you find stars.

Yes, absolutely....but it is also where you find above average starters. Every team has it's share of early picks who contribute well, but are not necessarily stars.

I agree but not year in and year out.

Matthew 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself

Profile E-mail