By the fans, For the fans!
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Reggie Bush
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:39 am 

Am I the only one that found the back rotation dumbfounding? Bush was the guy then in midseason after a Bush fumble, they force fed Thomas, sprinkled in Miller and ultimately went back to Bush. It was curious at best.

I can understand sitting a guy who fumbles, but Reggie has been pretty sure handed for his size.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on FriendFeedShare on DiggShare on MySpaceShare on DeliciousShare on TumblrShare on Google+

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:46 am 
Site Admin

JMP wrote:
Quote:
huh? then why didn't they do it?

Yeah, it just makes no sense. And the whole "Miller can't pass block" excuse is completely lame and unjustified, considering that Thomas is a only step above "bad" in that department and Bush isn't much better.

Miller can break a long run at any time...I don't give a damn if he can pass block. Don't put him in pass-blocking situations if that's the case.

The problem with that is you tip off the defense if you take him out on all pass plays. But I agree he needs to be in there regardless.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:16 am 

Quote:
The problem with that is you tip off the defense if you take him out on all pass plays.

I know other people have said that, but that seems like a silly reason to me. First of all, Miller can still be used on a pass play by sending him out on a pass pattern because he's a very good receiver. Second, the idea of "fooling the defense" seems pretty archaic to me. Coaches and players today just aren't fooled by things like that, and if they are - so what? If your players execute, the play will work whether or not the D knows what's coming. I would argue that the D knows if a play is a run or a pass 99% of the time anyway.

Quote:
Am I the only one that found the back rotation dumbfounding? Bush was the guy then in midseason after a Bush fumble, they force fed Thomas, sprinkled in Miller and ultimately went back to Bush. It was curious at best.

I can understand sitting a guy who fumbles, but Reggie has been pretty sure handed for his size.

It's completely dumbfounding. Bush was in the doghouse for a big part of the season, Miller played great when he got a chance but was rarely used, and Thomas just kept getting consistent carries despite doing absolutely nothing of note. IMO, Miller should have been the primary ball-carrier by season's end, with Bush playing part-time and Thomas riding the bench.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:36 am 
Site Admin

99% of the time? Then why have draws or play action passes?

I would go into more detail... but I'm typing this from my phone. But I would like to debate this. :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:09 pm 

Quote:
Then why have draws or play action passes?

Draws and playaction passes are essentially deception plays, and they work when the defense knows what's coming...and then you do something else. Really, they are "trick plays" in a way.

But my main point here is, if Lamar Miller is on the field, the offense can still run or pass...there's no reason why they are limited to just running plays. There are other things Miller can do on a pass play besides staying at home and blocking.

Which brings up another issue: I really wish Sherman would use the RBs as receivers more often. Reggie had just 35 catches, which is absurd. Especially on a team with no receivers, he should have almost twice that amount. And we heard all offseason about how Miller was such a good receiver that they would use him in the slot...and then they never used him as a receiver in the regular season.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:14 pm 

Lamar Miller is bigger, faster, and younger than Bush. Bush is an aging veteran and needs to be paid that way. If he wants to be in Miami then it's for our price not his. I'm all for Miller getting the nod.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:51 pm 

They need to let Bush stay for a cheap price get rid of Thomas and draft another RB.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:21 pm 

I see a lot of value in keeping Bush at the right price because i think he is a proven playmaker. I am also excited about the possibility of Miller but the backfield is crowded IMHO based on the numbers and this staffs feelings about Thomas.

They were high on Gray until his injury, they are high on Thomas for no obvious reason and Thigpen did a stellar job on special teams considering the past.

If i were to bring back Bush i would let him know that he would be used as a third down back and a returner, especially on PR where his shifty style and acceleration could be maximized. Although i appreciate what Thigpen has done I think Bush is better.

My selling point to Bush would be that this is his niche at this point in his career because there is no way this team builds a superbowl team before his prime is done.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:06 pm 

Reggie thinks he is a number one back. He is going to want to get paid as such. I don't see him back in Miami.

That, my friends, says it all.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:31 pm 

scotgif1 wrote:
Reggie thinks he is a number one back. He is going to want to get paid as such. I don't see him back in Miami.

Agreed.Reggie thinks he's a number one. I dontknow anyone else that would agree. I don't think he is a fin next year.

Profile E-mail