By the fans, For the fans!
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Miami 2012 Defensive Alignment
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:59 pm 
Site Columnist

Good pass rushing teams have at least two good pass rushers at the line. We currently have one, unless Vernon turns the corner.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on FriendFeedShare on DiggShare on MySpaceShare on DeliciousShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:02 am 
Optimistic Overlord

CarsonChris wrote:
hypocritex wrote:
Sample size. Pressures. Sacks not always only indication of pass rushing ability. I truly think he would have just as much success on the otherside if he actually spent any REAL amount of time there.

The object of the game is to find a mismatch. Wake lines up where the weakest link is. What we need is someone that can clean up the pressure. We don't have that yet.

We can agree on that. However.. Want to point out that we had 5th most sacks in the league.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:40 am 

It's not about how many sacks and pressures you get...it's about getting sacks and pressures consistently at critical times and forcing turnovers. The Dolphins don't do that.

And number of pressures is a meaningless stat by itself. If the QB is under pressure and completes the pass, what good is the pressure? See the Colts' game as an example...we knocked Luck around all game and he still shredded us.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:18 am 
Site Admin

JMP wrote:
It's not about how many sacks and pressures you get...it's about getting sacks and pressures consistently at critical times and forcing turnovers.

That isn't totally accurate. You can change the structure of the game by getting some sacks/pressures in early. Make the QB uncomfortable early in the game and throw off his rhythm. Giants do this to Brady every Superbowl. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:18 pm 
Optimistic Overlord

I agree with both of to an extent. While I'm aware sacks are not the only indicator and do believe we need a complimentary end to Wake. Sacks do hold SOME weight. But we were 5th in league because of Wakes 15 sacks. He may have had 20 with a complimentary guy opposite him.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:23 pm 

Quote:
You can change the structure of the game by getting some sacks/pressures in early. Make the QB uncomfortable early in the game and throw off his rhythm.

That only works if you consistently apply pressure throughout the game. If you knock the QB around in the 1st quarter but don't get near him in the 4th, you've failed. Consistent pressure is key for me, and it's something the Dolphins haven't been able to do in ages.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:26 pm 

Quote:
Consistent pressure is key for me, and it's something the Dolphins haven't been able to do in ages.

So much of this is coaching as well. I want a defense that gets the critical sack when the game is on the line. And can force the QB into throwing that game changing interception, and a player on the other end of that pick who can actually...you know...catch the ball.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:17 pm 

Quote:
So much of this is coaching as well. I want a defense that gets the critical sack when the game is on the line. And can force the QB into throwing that game changing interception, and a player on the other end of that pick who can actually...you know...catch the ball.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:27 pm 
Optimistic Overlord

Having DB's who can play the zone will allow us to generate more turnovers for several reasons. We will be able to blitz more frequently.. and indirectly could result in more strips/fumbles.. AND more INT's when a QB is rushed to throw the ball into zone coverage and misses a LB or a DB sitting on a route.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:06 pm 

hypocritex wrote:
Having DB's who can play the zone will allow us to generate more turnovers for several reasons. We will be able to blitz more frequently.. and indirectly could result in more strips/fumbles.. AND more INT's when a QB is rushed to throw the ball into zone coverage and misses a LB or a DB sitting on a route.

I agree up to a point but go back and count how many INT's our Secondary dropped this past season.

Our Secondary HAS GOT TO start catching those INT's instead of dropping them outright or deflecting them.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next