By the fans, For the fans!
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Clemons is the top ranked safety?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:04 am 

because my posts have just been too negative lately (and if i haven't said it - THANKS JL for running this site!!!)...

Quote:
Among all NFL safeties Clemons allowed the lowest percentage of passes in his coverage area to be completed for first downs or touchdowns, according to ProFootballFocus. Jones was fifth....

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... atter.html

perhaps Clemons is better than many of us have been willing to give him credit for.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on FriendFeedShare on DiggShare on MySpaceShare on DeliciousShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Clemons is the top ranked safety?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:05 am 

Yet another reason for me to completely dismiss PFF rankings.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:06 pm 
Optimistic Overlord

No. Clemons is pretty solid. I've been saying that for a while. He doesn't make big plays. And sometimes he is caught out of position. But, I have to say.. and what I HAVE been saying. Better CB play could see those two as a pair of VERY good safeties. With Jones being the playmaker. I'd actually like to bring back Clemons. I think he could make more plays if our CB's could get it together.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:44 pm 

The only issue with Clemons is that he needs to stop dropping INT's. He had many opportunities to catch them but yet like most of the secondary he drops them. I like Clemons and thought he was a good pickup. IMO he will be kept and they probably keep Smith as well just for the simple fact that he the only CB that miami really has.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:52 pm 
Site Columnist

Clemmons needs to work on his angles. Fix that and he will be much better.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:45 am 
Omnipotent Ombudsman

Well, it could be the scheme, it could the suckitude of the CBs, or it just could be Clemons doesnt know how to read the QB or the play unfolding before him, but he is out of position MOST of the time IMO.

Now I readily admit, all I have to go on is TV, which is notoriously bad for coming to conclusions, but I dont see Earl Thomas or Ed reed out of position like I do Clemons?

The guy in the defense who is supposed to be the last ditch line of defense CANNOT be late in coming to help and he most definitely CANNOT make the wrong read as much as Clemons seems to IMHO.

Just the take from someone who watches TV.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:58 am 

Quote:
Yet another reason for me to completely dismiss PFF rankings.

PFF is a great site for confirming what it is you think you see, or don't see. They've improved greatly over the past few seasons as they now have access to coaching video. With that said, no grading system is perfect. The analyst is guessing what a players responsibility is on a particular play and that leaves room for error. They also default in the players favor on a play if they cannot see enough to give him a + grade. It's not perfect, but it is the best we've got.

My take on Clemmons is simple. You either keep him and let him grow into the position, and form a partnership with the other defensive backs because you believe he has not reached his ceiling.

You coach him up, for example;

Taking proper attack angles can be coached. What can't be coached is ball instincts. You either have that aggressiveness, and instinct or you don't. However, with coaching, and experience he might improve to the point he is in better position to make an impact here even without his superior instincts.

I am not convinced he'll improve greatly, but I do think he is underestimated by some. He plays the run extremely well, and is a pretty sure tackler.