By the fans, For the fans!
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Best off-season plan belongs to??
JMP 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
FFM 31%  31%  [ 5 ]
Caleb 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
hypocritex 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
Finfan33 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Degarmo 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Finsfan4ever 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
NYF 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
CarsonChris 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 16
 Post subject: Re: The GM Game
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:41 pm 

My plan, or at least a part of it:

Restricted free agents: Resign Devlin, Amaya, McCann, Marlon Moore.
Unrestricted free agents: Resign Garner and Fasano (only if the deal is reasonable)

Notable free agent signings:
WRs Greg Jennings and either Domenik Hixon or Donald Jones (I really want Jennings and Wallace, but that ain't happening)
RB Mike Goodson
TE Dustin Keller
OG Kory Lichtensteiger
DT Sammie Lee Hill
LB Tavares Gooden
CB Derek Cox
S Kenny Phillips (if he's healthy, and I think he is)

Notable cuts (or trade if possible): Incognito, Thomas, Marshall, Egnew

Draft:
- WR Patterson at 12, then I'd look to add impact players at WR, DE, CB and S with the other high picks
- I'd draft a QB in round 4 or 5, and OL anywhere from round 3 on

On the OL, I'd start: LT Martin, LG Lichtensteiger and C Pouncey. At RG I'd give Josh Samuda a chance to win the job, and at RT I'd let Garner compete with a rookie or maybe give Jerry a look.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on FriendFeedShare on DiggShare on MySpaceShare on DeliciousShare on TumblrShare on Google+

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:35 am 
Site Admin

CarsonChris wrote:
Time to cut bait. Matt Moore is a cheap backup but wants to play. Let him go. Miami needs to draft and develop some of it's own backup QB's. Landry Jones is a big armed QB that may develop into someone that we can trade in the future or even compete with Tannehill 4th to 6th round player. Let's not forget that we've searched for a franchise QB for a long time. Just because Tannehill was drafted at 8 doesn't mean he gets annointed. He needs to prove it on the field. So far he's been more Henne than Marino.

I have seen every game Landry has played in outside the Senior Bowl...I'd take Moore in a heartbeat over Jones.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:13 am 

I wish I had a stronger feel for what this team plans to do in Free Agency. It appears they are perfectly satisfied letting the market dictate their plays.

With that said, I thank Jake Long for his services, and look to draft a RT. The gamble here is that Martin can gain the strength needed for LT.

Sean Smith's asking for a 6 year deal. I don't see Miami offering any player those terms. If I can sign him to a 3 year deal for 6-7 mil per I do it. Cornerbacks are tough to come by, and even though Smith was inconsistent over the past season, he did have his moments where he shined.

As much as it pains me to say it, Starks needs to go as well. His play against the run is slipping, and he surely is not a pass rusher.

Reggie Bush's wants to be a feature back. He isn't. If they can't come to some agreement on the financials, I let him walk.

Brian Hartline - Pay him. He's not a number one, maybe not even a number two, but you need depth, and an ability to put multiple receivers on the field. He's got good hands, and if defenses can't work to shut him down I would expect more big plays.

Anthony Fasano - If I can upgrade the position in the draft, or free agency I do, but I also try to resign him to a 2 year deal if possible.

Matt Moore - Resign him. Just do it. Unless the coach feels Devlin is a legit #2. We've got the cap room, and with our line we need a quality backup QB.

Chris Clemons - Chris made strides this year, but I feel they can certainly upgrade the position. He just does not seem to have ball instincts.

Nate Garner - Why is he still here? Can he play, or not? I saw him have a decent game at guard, but the rest of the time he has played he looks like a turnstile. Will Yeatman gets a shot.

Of the lessor free agents I might be inclined to try and keep RJ Stanford at least through camp. Pat Devlin, and Marlon Moore I can go either way on. I am betting they resign Devlin.

As far as players I'd target Michael Bennett would fill a need at DE if you move Odrick to DT. Receiver is a little tougher, my first choice would be Dwayne Bowe. But, Obviously Jennings, Wallace, Cruz, and even Ted Ginn are out there. :lol: It's anybodies guess as to who they prefer.

At TE we've got Martellus Bennett, the ageless Tony Gonzalez, and Fred Davis. Not the best area to be investigating in FA, but either of those guys could fill a need.

Tough to forcast a draft not knowing what needs were filled in free agency, but I generally prefer the best player available method of drafting anyway. I'll list positions I feel are needs going into FA. Depth at every position would be helpful, but not practical. The names next to the positions would be my preference, but I hold the right to change my mind 100 times before April.

DE - Jarvis Jones would be awesome. Just sayin..
WR - Cordarrelle Patterson makes some sense as well.
WR - Tavon Austin is electric, and if you can get him in round 2 that might be something you consider.
TE - Tyler Eifert in round 2 is a slim possibility.
OT - Dallas Thomas - Only because Ireland really likes everything about Dallas.
RB - A late pick, or street FA for depth.
CB - Round 3 or later.
CB - Same
SS - Kenny Vaccaro seems to be the popular selection lately. I am not sold we take a S in round 1.
PK - Just someone to push Carpenter.
QB - A need if Moore leaves, otherwise it would be nice to take one anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:12 am 
Site Columnist

If I'm playing the GM game..

1) Re-sign WR Brian Hartline.
The market is what it is what - Pierre Garcon got 5-years, $42-mil with $21 mil guaranteed last year despite never having a 1000-yard season with Peyton Manning as his QB for the majority of it. He had nearly 1100 yards last season with a rookie QB at 26 years old. Losing him means the Dolphins head into the FA period with Bess and Marlon Moore as their starting WR's, and Charles Clay at TE.

2) Let the following players go: OT Jake Long, DT Randy Starks, CB Sean Smith, RB Reggie Bush.
Long for $10-MIL/year? Starks for $6-MIL? Smith for $8-MIL? Bush for $7-MIL? It'd literally drain our cap. The point is to IMPROVE. We have in-house options in Martin, Odrick, Patterson, and Miller.

3) No TE Anthony Fasano.
He's a tougher one. I like Fasano, and could return for a reasonable salary. But I can't see Fasano returning for his 6th year with the Dolphins in strictly a backup role. An upgrade (Finley, Cook, Keller, Davis) is needed, and there has to be some potential for Clay and Egnew to earn playing time.

4) Accept all of the following UFA's back for $2-$3 mil/year:
QB Matt Moore
OT Nate Garner
DT Tony McDaniel
FS Chris Clemons

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:22 pm 
Site Columnist

Ok So R Starks and J Long are gone. Odrick and J Martin fill the spots. Vernon to the starter at DE. I think we'll sign Smith 3 yrs 21-24 mil, Hartline around the same... Bush, gone. 1st rnd is Ansah DE. 2nd rnd J Hunter WR and Xavier Rhodes CB 3rd Menelik Watson T and Arthur Brown OLB.

Free Agent signings.... Greg Jennings wr/ Cary Williams cb/ Jared Cooki TE/ and an OT and I dont wanna guess who. Id also try to sign Donnie Avery.

I guess I got confused with the assignment. Its about 50% what I would do and 50% what I think theyll do. One things for sure,there is a lot to do this offseason.

Acorns everywhere!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:02 pm 

Caleb wrote:
Ok So R Starks and J Long are gone. Odrick and J Martin fill the spots. Vernon to the starter at DE. I think we'll sign Smith 3 yrs 21-24 mil, Hartline around the same... Bush, gone. 1st rnd is Ansah DE. 2nd rnd J Hunter WR and Xavier Rhodes CB 3rd Menelik Watson T and Arthur Brown OLB.

Free Agent signings.... Greg Jennings wr/ Cary Williams cb/ Jared Cooki TE/ and an OT and I dont wanna guess who. Id also try to sign Donnie Avery.

I guess I got confused with the assignment. Its about 50% what I would do and 50% what I think theyll do. One things for sure,there is a lot to do this offseason.

Good job. Very possible scenerio. The way our FA are talking there's a big difference between how we value them and how they value themselves.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:06 pm 

Our line has big question marks. It seems that way every year. Pouncey and Martin are the only two guys I see as starter going into the season. Jerry is a McDouble from being cut. Incognito doesn't fit the scheme to well. I think Chandler Burden gets a shot at one of the guard positions this year.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:40 pm 

Quote:
Our line has big question marks. It seems that way every year.

:choir:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:00 pm 
Optimistic Overlord

Ok.. Here goes.

Restricted free agents: Resign Devlin, Amaya, McCann
Unrestricted free agents: Resign Garner and Fasano at a BACKUP/Blocker price. I bring back Clemons for the continuity. Reggie Bush is brought back as a veteran split carries with Miller role at a discount once he discovers he can't get paid much more then we are offering. (He's too dangerous and creates mismatches in passing game to let go EASILY)

Dimitrius Patterson is asked to restructure or be CUT. CB Marshall is gone.

Notable free agent signings:
WRs Greg Jennings AND Mike Wallace (I'm the GM. Not Ireland. And we have the money for it)
TE Jared Cook OR Dustin Keller. Whoever comes cheaper.
OG Kory Lichtensteiger
CB Sam Shields if I can't afford Grimes or Dom Rodgers-Cromartie. (From GB)

Draft:
- With WR addressed. I trade back 7-10 spots an acquire another 2nd rounder.
- I draft Ezikiel Ansah with our 1st rounder. I then package 2 of our 3 second rounder to move up where I draft Tyler Eiffert. With the remaining pick. I look for Tavon Austin if he is still there. If he is gone. You will find me looking at CB. If he is there.. (I take him and then I trade Bess for whatever I can get. Say a 4th for arguments sake) In the 3rd round I use my picks on CB and DT
-Rounds 4-7 I address the OT position in 4th. LB position. Developmental DE and Safety.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:58 am 

Quote:
CB Sam Shields

Good call. He makes plays.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next