By the fans, For the fans!
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Best off-season plan belongs to??
JMP 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
FFM 31%  31%  [ 5 ]
Caleb 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
hypocritex 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
Finfan33 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Degarmo 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Finsfan4ever 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
NYF 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
CarsonChris 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 16
 Post subject: Re: The GM Game: NOW VOTING
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:09 pm 
Site Admin

Ok...here is my full GM off-season moves. I know it's late and I do not qualify for the contest...but I've been really busy the past several days and haven't had time.

I look to bring back Hartline (offering around $4 to 4.5 mil a year) and Clemons (not my first choice but he is serviceable and we have too many other holes to fill.) I also look at bringing back Nate Garner, Matt Moore (decent backup who knows system) and Tony McDaniel. If Reggie Bush signs a VERY team friendly two year deal he can return also. Otherwise he walks. Everyone else I let test the free agent waters. Chances are I may cut Richard Marshall as well.

In free agency, my first priority is Mike Wallace. Greg Jennings is my second and Bowe is my third. I walk away with one of these guys. (Note: although Jennings in my second FA choice, his injury history worries me a bit and bumps the importance of WR up a little in the draft.) I want a receiver who is proven and can step in right away. My intent is to help develop Tannehill, and I think he can improve at a faster pace if I'm not trying to develop a #1 WR at the same time.

I also look to lock up a CB like Brent Grimes (if healthy), or to a lesser extent a guy like Chris Houston or Cary Williams. Either way, we need a veteran CB. I'd also bring in a kicker to challenge Carpenter. I move Martin to the left side and let Garner battle a signed vet or rookie for the starting job on right side. I'd also move Incognito to the right side and look to the draft or free agency for a LG.

I would look to add other free agents along the offensive and defensive lines, depth at LB, etc depending upon the cost. But I won't target high end free agents at positions other than WR and CB....unless a huge surprise happens. (Like the Bills letting OG Andy Levitre walk.) I can address other needs in the draft where talent is stocked at DE and WR. Also, I'm not bringing in old guys like Ed Reed or Charles Woodson. This is a young team and I want them to develop. If this were a Superbowl contention year, maybe. But right now my goal is to develop my talent and hopefully make noise for the playoffs in December.

For the draft, my importance list is as follows: DE, CB, TE, OL/WR, depth at LB, depth at DT, and depth at DB. I prefer the philosophy of BPA. But with so many needs and so much talent at those positions, I feel I could be a bit flexible and still come away solid. I don't think I will have to reach much or skip far more talented players to fill those needs. (Note: the importance of WR vs OL depends on who I acquired in FA and BPA at those positions when I'm on the clock.)

With the 12th pick of the draft, I take a DE like Mingo or Ansah, or a CB like Millner. One of those three should hopefully be there at 12. I like WR Hopkins, but with the addition of Wallace/Jennings/Bowe, I want a DE or CB first.

At 42...depending on who is available....I'll look at TE (Eifert or Ertz), DE or CB (Datone Jones or Xavier Rhodes) (whichever I didn't get at 12) or maybe even an OL if there is a solid guy who has slipped this far. I'd also look at some WRs if they have slipped some.

At 53....the same group as at 42 but I'd also start looking at WRs. (Justin Hunter or Tavon Austin). A lot would depend on my previous two picks....but by the end of the second round, I want a pass rushing DE, a CB, a playmaker at WR or TE, and/or an OL that has slipped down.

At 77....depends who I already have...but I like TE Jordon Reed, CB David Amerson or Logan Ryan. I'd also look a bit more closely at the OL if I hadn't already.

At 83....I'd start looking at BPA. Especially if I have my big three spots (DE, CB, TE) covered. If I haven't taken an OL yet, here is were I look for one to play opposite Martin or at LG.

At 108....the doors are basically open and I take BPA. If I have a few players graded very close to each other, then I refer to my importance list.

By the 5th round, it is all BPA....especially if my important needs are met.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on FriendFeedShare on DiggShare on MySpaceShare on DeliciousShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:55 am 

Nice job JL

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:47 am 

Maybe next year I'll manage to get one vote. :ROFL:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:57 pm 
Site Columnist

Finsfan4ever wrote:
Maybe next year I'll manage to get one vote. :ROFL:

LIKEWISE.

Maybe we could arrange to vote for each other :D

Acorns everywhere!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:13 pm 

Quote:
Maybe we could arrange to vote for each other

Ssssshhhhh. Keep it between us.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:53 pm 

I like JL's proposal most of all except I am not shot with the Mingo pick. I am really on the fence about him.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:01 am 
Site Admin

I like Werner and Ansah much better. Werner will be long gone.....hopefully Ansah will still be there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:02 pm 
Optimistic Overlord

Looks like FFM is going to be the sites representative GM.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:10 pm 
Lead Moderator

Personally I don't think I deserve any special recognition with the way that Max is crushing it with the analysis and videos, with NYF right there also. Besides, I had fun thinking about what I would do and even more fun reading what everyone else thought. I thought everyone had some good ideas (even if they didn't get any votes).

Extra kudos to hypo for the idea, putting it together, and generating a lot of great ideas/discussion about the offseason.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:40 pm 

no matter who got the most votes, the fact is we are talking football. Brilliant stuff lately.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next