By the fans, For the fans!
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: No franchise tag for CB Smith?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:00 am 
Site Admin

I liked Smith when he was drafted. But considering his asking price, I agree it is time to move on.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on FriendFeedShare on DiggShare on MySpaceShare on DeliciousShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:22 am 
Site Columnist

Sean Smith Height: 6-3 Weight: 218 Age: 25

He has had an up and down career in Miami, but at times has shown great promise. With those measurables and his age, shouldn't we least consider the one-year buy option of the franchise tag. It's does not require a long term commitment on the Dolphins, there is no dead money, we get to see if he turns it around, and if he doesn't well he's worth at least a 3rd rounder in a mid season trade. We got the cap space. It saves us from having to draft CB in the first round. Could free up an extra draft choice to target TE etc.

I am definitely in the minority on this, the sentiment from everyone I know is that they want him gone, I just feel as though you just can't let that walk out the door and leave you empty handed. The guy will have a job by 10pm on March 12th.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:37 am 
Lead Moderator

... and Miami should help Miami get a decent compensatory draft pick in return.

Letting Long and Smith walk isn't completely without compensation given the contracts and playing time they are likely to get elsewhere.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:23 am 

Quote:
With those measurables and his age, shouldn't we least consider the one-year buy option of the franchise tag.

I actually think his measureables hurt him. He's too tall and lacks the hip movement that all good corners have. The Seahawks have tall corners, but Sherman and Browner are more athletic than Smith and they have the ability to recover when they get beat - unlike Smith. They're also much more physical than Smith, who is a poor tackler and overall soft player.

The franchise tag is almost $11 million for corners. To me, it would be a colossal mistake to tie up that much money in a mediocre player. That money can be better applied by giving it to a playmaker. As said, we can draft a better corner than Smith in the 2nd or 3rd round and pay him a fraction of that cost.

Quote:
he's worth at least a 3rd rounder in a mid season trade

I don't see any team trading a 3rd for Smith, especially if he's not signed beyond 2013. The team would lose a high pick and then have to shell out a ton of money to keep Smith.

Quote:
I just feel as though you just can't let that walk out the door and leave you empty handed.

I think it's best to just cut ties and make an effort to upgrade the position. And we'll get a compensatory pick if he signs elsewhere, so it's not like we will be left empty-handed.

Quote:
The guy will have a job by 10pm on March 12th.

Maybe, but I just hope it's not with the Dolphins...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:29 am 

JMP wrote:
Quote:
Smith being ranked 76th by PFF doesn’t exactly help him at the negotiating table, but his play was more or less in line with several players who made around the same money that he is seeking (average salary, PFF ranking):

Dallas’ Brandon Carr ($10.02 mil, 56th), Washington’s DeAngelo Hall ($9 mil, 70th), New York Giants’ Corey Webster ($8.7 mil, 110th), Green Bay’s Tramon Williams ($8.25 mil, 61st), San Diego’s Quentin Jammer ($5.49 mil, 107th).

More ridiculous rankings from PFF, but if this is the argument the author is trying to make to set Smith's price...he's actually making the opposite point.

If in fact the corners he mentions are ranked that poorly, then they're obviously overpaid and their respective teams signed them to bad contracts.

hmm, so if all these high-priced CBs are ranked so low, i'd like to see the salaries of the top 10 or 20 PFF ranked CBs. perhaps the converse argument could be made that you don't have to pay a CB a lot of money to get great performance. maybe the idea of over-paying for a FA CB is a mirage or at the very least skewed because of the ridiculous (cap killing) deals signed by Revis and Asamough. just curious.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:48 am 

61finfan wrote:
Let Smith go. I would rather have Edelman from the pats in his place. At least Edelman would catch an int now and then. Seriously though, after watching vontae getting smoked in Indy, I can only imagine the joy of watching smith get smoked elsewhere too. Lets start finding guys who excel, not tread water.

Let smith go the the colt's like his homeboy vontae. They can reunite to once again be the "Best CB tandem in the league".

That, my friends, says it all.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:04 am 

Quote:
They can reunite to once again be the "Best CB tandem in the league".

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:13 pm 

Quote:

They talked a great game - the Seahawks just showed up and played great - IN GAMES.

Their secondary is enviable. That squad is turning around very quickly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:29 pm 

white1 wrote:
Quote:

They talked a great game - the Seahawks just showed up and played great - IN GAMES.

Their secondary is enviable. That squad is turning around very quickly.

I disagree about the seahawks secondary. They talked a LOT. They came out and told you how good they were and how they were going to punish you, and for the most part they backed it up.

Our, "greatest CB tandem in the league" just talked.

That, my friends, says it all.

Profile E-mail