By the fans, For the fans!
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jake Long
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:05 pm 

JLFINFAN wrote:
Finsfan4ever wrote:
I guess that depends on what you think of Dansby (Overpaid), or Misi. (Reminds me of Crowder, never makes a play)

At RB I am assuming Bush is gone, and Thomas is what we've seen thus far. Miller is unproven. Certainly not a position of strength.

Or maybe what you consider to be "a hole". While I agree Dansby is probably overpaid and Misi is "serviceable" at best, that does not equal a "hole" to me in the sense that we have holes at CB and WR.

To me serviceable leads to a 500 team. I want more. I say an upgrade is needed at almost every position on the team other than SS, LDE, and C. QB, LT, and RB are question marks. Watching our LB's try and cover TE's and I want an upgrade. Servicable against the Pats TE leads to a 28-0 loss.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on FriendFeedShare on DiggShare on MySpaceShare on DeliciousShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:41 pm 
Site Admin

CarsonChris wrote:
To me serviceable leads to a 500 team. I want more. I say an upgrade is needed at almost every position on the team other than SS, LDE, and C. QB, LT, and RB are question marks. Watching our LB's try and cover TE's and I want an upgrade. Servicable against the Pats TE leads to a 28-0 loss.

But that goes back to the point that it is impossible to have Pro Bowlers at every position. At some positions, you have to deal with serviceable so that you can afford superstars at others.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:37 pm 

Quote:
But that goes back to the point that it is impossible to have Pro Bowlers at every position. At some positions, you have to deal with serviceable so that you can afford superstars at others.

This is interesting, and you're right it is impossible. The difference lies between having marginal NFL players, and serviceable ones. I would say we've got too many marginal NFL players filling holes that would be better filled by serviceable players. That, and the lack of elite players makes us who we are. Below average. Which is why I do believe this staff chose to clear cap space, and stock pile draft picks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:26 pm 

Quote:
This is interesting, and you're right it is impossible. The difference lies between having marginal NFL players, and serviceable ones. I would say we've got too many marginal NFL players filling holes that would be better filled by serviceable players. That, and the lack of elite players makes us who we are. Below average.

Exactly.

I see holes all over this roster...at every single position, in fact.

JL, you mentioned LB and RB...well, from where I sit we have one RB right now (Miller) at a position where we need 3...and I have no idea what Miller's going to be down the road. At LB, Misi is deadwood, Dansby is vastly overpaid and likely won't be a Dolphin in 2014, and Burnett is inconsistent and also may be with a new team in 2014. We have no potential future starters behind those three...not one. So there's a bunch of holes at just two positions...and that's not even touching CB, WR, TE or OL.

This roster is UGLY. No, we won't have Pro Bowlers at every position...but wouldn't it be great if we could do better than mediocre at key starting positions, and if we actually had depth that could one day start?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:27 am 
Site Columnist

NO team has pro bowlers at every position.

But great teams usually have more pro bowl players than the rest, and if they don't, they have some damn good players all over the team, including the backups.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:50 am 

For me, backups and depth are huge issues on this team. Quite frankly, we have no quality depth anywhere. If we lose starters to injury or free agency, we're done. The cupboards are bare. Poor drafting for all these years has killed this roster. Just take a look at the backup LBs and CBs, for example...it's embarrassing. It's going to take a lot of time and resources to reshape this roster.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:39 am 

Finsfan4ever wrote:
This IS a rebuild. Don't let 7-9 fool you. We might have well have been 2-14. New coaches ALWAYS want their players rather then someone else's given a decent option. And, why wouldn't Philbin? It's not like this group has been successful.

True on both counts, but, a rebuild USUALLY takes a couple years to accomplish. I know this year, we had a couple quick turnarounds, due mainly to great rookie QB play.

The thing about rebuilds is that anymore, it is a what have you done for me lately league. Owners and fans want instant gratification. No longer do you have a "five year plan". Two or three losing seasons in a row gets you unemployed.

Think about it. What coach or GM gets five years anymore to "turn it around"?

Not 100% correct in ALL cases, but you get the point.

That, my friends, says it all.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:08 pm 

Quote:
I know this year, we had a couple quick turnarounds, due mainly to great rookie QB play.

IMO I don't see Ireland getting too much more rope. This team must improve this year for him to be retained. Your point about the QB is totally accurate, but there is usually something to work with when he gets there. Reggie Wayne for example. This team, as I said previously has too many marginal players for such a turnaround to take place as it currently sits. When your best two players are an ex-cfl'er and a punter you've got work to do.

I don't see Tannehill being on the same level as Luck, RGIII, or even Wilson. But, I think with the right supporting cast he is intelligent, and skilled enough with the football to win. I am just not sure he can take a game over like those guys can. Maybe with some experience, and more talent around him that will change.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:44 pm 

Quote:
No longer do you have a "five year plan". Two or three losing seasons in a row gets you unemployed.

That's not true in every case...I can think of one example in particular...

Quote:

Well, I can think of one example in particular here too...

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:40 pm 

JMP wrote:
Quote:
No longer do you have a "five year plan". Two or three losing seasons in a row gets you unemployed.

That's not true in every case...I can think of one example in particular...

Quote:

Well, I can think of one example in particular here too...

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

Thus the:
scotgif1 wrote:
Not 100% correct in ALL cases, but you get the point.

That, my friends, says it all.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next