By the fans, For the fans!
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: WR Wallace is Fins 1st choice
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:06 pm 
Optimistic Overlord

Actually.. In terms of FA money. Miami has spent more then any other team over the past few years prior to Philbin's arrival.

Ross will open the Wallet. HOPE he opens it to Wallace and Jennings. (Jennings is the superior WR. But, we need that speed and playmaking ability that Wallace has.)

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on FriendFeedShare on DiggShare on MySpaceShare on DeliciousShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:10 pm 

Quote:
I just don't see the Dolphins paying any player $12 million a year, regardless of position

I hope you are right. I sense you may not be. Wallace at 12 million...I'd pass.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:18 pm 

Quote:
In terms of FA money. Miami has spent more then any other team over the past few years prior to Philbin's arrival.

Yes, but how often have they given out a contract averaging $12 million a year to one player? Marshall got close to that...and then they traded him away for less than they initially gave up to get him. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see the Phins doing that type of deal again after what happened with Marshall. And Philbin doesn't seem like the type of coach that wants a $12 million receiver, so I guess we'll see how much say he really has.

Quote:
Wallace at 12 million...I'd pass.

I think that's way too much for him as well...but when you have no receivers you will unfortunately need to overpay at some point to improve the position. I'd rather overpay Wallace than Hartline, even though it's significantly more money.

I still think the Dolphins sign Jennings and not Wallace, but we'll see what happens...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:39 am 

Its not just about dropping $12 Million. If it were that easy the Jets would have more Superbowls then the Pats. We need work on the front line, and a running game. And "HOPEFULLY" Tanny is ready to take that next step. My point is, do we need to speand $12 million a year to get the results we want?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:46 am 

Quote:
We need work on the front line, and a running game.

Completely disagree. We need to add weapons to the passing game on offense...period. Surround Tannehill with talent.

The running game is almost an afterthought in today's NFL. We can go with Miller as the starter and then add a cheap vet FA and an undrafted rookie - no need to do anything more than that.

As for the OL, we do need a couple of guards and a RT - but we don't need to spend a lot of money to fill those positions. We may already have the RT in Garner, Jerry or Yeatman, and we can easily sign a relatively inexpensive vet guard and draft another one.

The focus should be on playmakers in the passing game...everything else take a backseat IMO.

Quote:
My point is, do we need to speand $12 million a year to get the results we want?

Whatever it takes. The passing game MUST improve significantly if this team is ever going to be more than average.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:00 am 
Site Admin

I agree with JMP to a point.....passing rushing DE and a CB should NOT be an afterthought but instead be a priority after the WR position.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:25 am 

Quote:
passing rushing DE and a CB should NOT be an afterthought but instead be a priority after the WR position.

Yep. I should have said "passing game on both sides of the ball". The passing game is king now...you've got to have a dynamic, high-scoring passing offense, and a defense that can stop (or at least limit) the other team's passing game. Those are the two biggest keys to winning IMO.

So on offense it's WR and TE, and on defense it's DE (and pass rush in general) and DB. Those are the areas we should focus on and pump the most resources ($$ and picks) into IMHO.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:12 pm 

Quote:
Yep. I should have said "passing game on both sides of the ball". The passing game is king now...you've got to have a dynamic, high-scoring passing offense, and a defense that can stop (or at least limit) the other team's passing game. Those are the two biggest keys to winning IMO.

So on offense it's WR and TE, and on defense it's DE (and pass rush in general) and DB. Those are the areas we should focus on and pump the most resources ($$ and picks) into IMHO.

Well said, I don't think either is more pressing then the other. They are both mandatory. Especially when Tom Brady is in your division.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:19 pm 

for those saying no to paying Wallace considerable money, then who? We need a top flight receiver. We all complain we don't have one, but then we don't want to overspend??? I don't get it. I won't be calling for Irelands head if he pays Wallace a good buck.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:48 pm 

Quote:
for those saying no to paying Wallace considerable money, then who? We need a top flight receiver. We all complain we don't have one, but then we don't want to overspend??? I don't get it. I won't be calling for Irelands head if he pays Wallace a good buck.

It would have been nice to have a few receivers on the roster that we drafted within the past few years, so that they could be starting to enter their prime and building chemistry with Tannehill. But that didn't happen.

So now, we literally have no choice but to go through free agency and come up with a stud receiver. If it takes $10 million to land Jennings or $12 million to land Wallace...so be it. The situation is what it is, and thanks to horrendous drafting we are left having to overpay free agents. We need to also supplement through the draft, but priority #1 must be a top-flight free agent receiver. It's not ideal by any means, but the team put itself in that position.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next