By the fans, For the fans!
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: WR Wallace is Fins 1st choice
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:35 pm 

Quote:
Me to. I don't think we draft Patterson. I think Ireland goes for the safe pick as usual. If we use our first round pick on a receiver it will most likely be Allen. He's the guy I don't want. I don't see a game changer when I watch him play.

I agree with your thoughts on Allen. As much as I want Patterson, I'm starting to think that Fireland will play it safe and take an offensive lineman. No joke and not intended as a "bash Fireland" post...but that's the feeling I'm starting to get.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on FriendFeedShare on DiggShare on MySpaceShare on DeliciousShare on TumblrShare on Google+

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:07 pm 

So far DeAndre Hopkins has the best measurements at the combine. Can't wait for the 40 times to see if or how it affects the drafting board. I'd be happy with DeDandre/Bailey in the second round. That would be a revamped receiver position for sure.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:22 pm 
Site Admin

Im thinking if Hopkins has a good combine he jumps into the first round....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:31 pm 
Lead Moderator

:( I really like Hopkins and was hoping we could get him in the second. I agree - if he has a better than expected 40 and comes across well in the interviews he's going to climb on more than a few boards, and it only takes one team to pick him. Looking at the teams in the tail end of the first round, there are a bunch of teams who could potentially go WR:

Vikings
Rams
Bears
Pats (if they let Welker go, and I've also heard noise that they may let Lloyd go to clear cap space)
Ravens (if they let Boldin go to get under the cap)
Niners (likely losing Moss and Ginn, albeit they weren't great contributors).
Texans (I see more than a few mocks having them take a WR)
Colts (as eventual successor to Wayne?)

And even if he slips past them, you still have 11 teams in the second who could take him.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:28 pm 
Site Columnist

If we sign Wallace then we can go DB/DE and OL in the first two rnds. If we sign Jennings we still have to draft a wr in the first 2 rnds imo

Acorns everywhere!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:41 pm 

Quote:
If we sign Wallace then we can go DB/DE and OL in the first two rnds. If we sign Jennings we still have to draft a wr in the first 2 rnds imo

Well, Wallace takes care of the deep threat...but then we'd still need that go-to guy that can run the full 'route tree'.

Conversely, if you sign Jennings than you need the deep threat.

If we signed both, then we'd be set...but I don't see that happening. Which is why I want to go WR early and often whether we land Wallace or Jennings.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:20 pm 
Lead Moderator

Signing Wallace and Jennings would certainly fire up the fan base and give Tannehill the weapons he needs to succeed.

Think about this: Tannehill was quite good when defenses blitzed, but Miami's offense sputtered later in the season when defenses sat back and flooded the zone, knowing Miami's receivers couldn't beat them. Simply adding Wallace and Jennings would completely change that equation. A lot of $$$ to commit, but you've got to spend it somewhere and the NFL is a passing league. The QB is cheap enough (for now), so the $$$ can be spent at WR. Then if you can throw in a more dynamic TE... watch out.

I think it would take between $18 to $20 mil/season to land Jennings and Wallace. This offseason that would still leave Miami with about $26 mil to spend (which could go up if they cut/restructure other players like Incognito, Marshall, etc). Miami will likely have to budget $6 mil for rookies, meaning Miami has $20 mil left. Miami won't spend all of that $20 mil, but with the draft picks they have I don't think they need to.

I think Jennings and Wallace is very doable if that's what they want.

However I think Wallace with a second round rookie is the more likely course.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:40 pm 
Optimistic Overlord

Finsfan4ever wrote:
Quote:
I truly think with 2 more offensive playmakers and better line play. We win 10 games last year.

And add 2 field goals and we win 12. Sadly, it just doesn't work like that.

Missing the point. And that is.. If we add 2 more playmakers and improve our line play. We could be talking playoffs NEXT year.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:42 am 

Quote:
Missing the point. And that is.. If we add 2 more playmakers and improve our line play. We could be talking playoffs NEXT year.

I didn't miss it at all. You can "what if" all day. Even with improved line play, and two playmakers they'll still have to make the plays when it counts. And, then there's the defense...they must address the CB's, and pass rush with solutions that improve those areas.

My point is there's more to it then that. Tannehill taking the next step, Injuries, execution, luck, etc. There schedule next season is no cakewalk either. They've got an awful lot to get right if we are going to be in the playoffs, much less be a factor in them.

I am not saying it is out of the question, not at all, but they are going to have to work some magic to get there. Watch our games against the Patriots, Colts, Tennessee, and Arizona. It was more then an inability to move the ball that cost us those games. In fact, against the Colts the offense played pretty well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:43 am 

Great post, FFM. Plus, you sign those two stud free agent WRs, and you can do whatever you want in the draft.

And I agree, it's much more likely that we sign one FA and then add a high draft pick.

Quote:
Miami's offense sputtered later in the season when defenses sat back and flooded the zone, knowing Miami's receivers couldn't beat them.

And this is EXACTLY why you don't even think about paying Hartline more than $3 million per year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next