By the fans, For the fans!
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Michael Egnew
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:19 pm 

I read where Ireland said that he is still in the Dolphins plans this year. It seems his problem was that he couldn't figure out how to play with his hand in the dirt. At Missouri he lined up on the outside. Played more of a wr receiver than a true TE. His reps never came from a three point stance in college. He was always in a 2 point stance.

Egnew is working out in MMA this offseason to toughen up. I still think anyone that wants us to draft another seam TE is dreaming. Egnew gets another year to make the adjustment.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on FriendFeedShare on DiggShare on MySpaceShare on DeliciousShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Michael Egnew
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:50 pm 

Quote:
I still think anyone that wants us to draft another seam TE is dreaming. Egnew gets another year to make the adjustment.

It's never good when your teammates call you out for being soft. We'll see. Ireland has talked up players before, and soon after released them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:22 pm 

Quote:
I read where Ireland said that he is still in the Dolphins plans this year. It seems his problem was that he couldn't figure out how to play with his hand in the dirt. At Missouri he lined up on the outside. Played more of a wr receiver than a true TE. His reps never came from a three point stance in college. He was always in a 2 point stance.

Yes, but this is old news: everyone knew this when Egnew was in the draft. The fact that he didn't improve enough over the course of an entire season to catch even one pass is the important part - not what he did in college.

The biggest issue is that Egnew is mentally soft and weak. The whole world saw it during Hard Knocks...this guy just isn't built to play in the NFL from a mental standpoint.

Carson, you may be right that Fireland will not look to upgrade the TE position because he is still high on Egnew. But that would be a colossal mistake.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:03 pm 
Lead Moderator

CC: I hear what you're saying, but from a value perspective even if Egnew were to miraculously kick ass this year, Miami could still use another good TE.

Unless Egnew has managed to impress the coaching staff, they are going to be screaming for an upgrade at TE no matter what Ireland's opinion of him. That may mean Miami gets a FA, or that may mean Miami drafts someone highly again. But I fully expect Miami to add some serious competition at TE this year, as much as I expect them to upgrade the WR position.

WR gets all the pub, but upgrading at TE is just as important.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:46 pm 

Agree FFM.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:30 pm 

There is a reason his nickname was EgPHEW. Time to cut the dead weight.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:34 pm 
Site Columnist

Ireland has admitted bad draft day mistakes fairly quickly before. Pat White, Patrick Turner and John Nalbone come to mind. It isn't looking good for Egnew to make the roster in '13 IMO.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:03 am 

Teamates called him a Pussy. Thats harsh for a rookie. He must have really sucked to draw that kind of criticism so early on.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:02 am 
Omnipotent Ombudsman

Something must have been REALLY bad cause even he sucked at playing TE in the NFL, if he could catch a pass, I believe Philbin would have stuck him in at receiver or something.

Of course, seeing how Philbin treated Mathews like an untouchable, dilly dallied with the RBs, and generally seemed to use playing time as a reward/punishment....who knows?

I thought Egnew was gonna stink anyway, but to be a total WASHOUT!!! Did not see that coming I admit.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:16 pm 

I have very little hope for Egnew. Looks highly likely this is another wasted 3rd round pick.

That said, I would LOVE to be surprised by a good season from Egnew in 2013.

Profile E-mail