By the fans, For the fans!
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BPA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:34 am 

If Miami drafts BPA will we have a bad draft? Chance warmack might be the BPA when we pick.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on FriendFeedShare on DiggShare on MySpaceShare on DeliciousShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: BPA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:45 am 

I don't want any part of an offensive lineman till round 4, maybe round 3 if we've already addressed key positions by then. We will absolutely be able to get a skill position player at 12...no reason to draft a guard that high.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:09 pm 
Site Columnist

Guard, Tackle, DT, CB, WR, QB, RB, RB, S, DE. That's our order ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:28 pm 

No.

DT, G, T, G, Kicker, RB, TE, DE, WR, CB.

THAT is how we'll rule this draft!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:01 pm 
Site Columnist

Sweet!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:23 pm 

I will want a draft IPA if they draft BPA in the 1st round. How about filling a hole.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:28 pm 

CarsonChris wrote:
If Miami drafts BPA will we have a bad draft? Chance warmack might be the BPA when we pick.

Great question Carson. I've been wanting to ask this very thing. What are the reasonable exceptions to BPA and if there are exceptions doesn't that negate the whole concept of BPA? The other thing I'd like to know is how in the world could be BPA be a valid strategy when BPA is subjective? :hammer:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:08 pm 

I think it is pretty safe to assume that Ireland should marry both, BPA, and filling a need. For example, if he feels the Must haves are a G, T, RB, WR, TE, DE, & CB. When it is their turn to pick he'll take the BPA out of that group of players available. Obviously BPA is subjective, but for the sake of this argument it is based on the teams board. When the team feels the best player available out of that group is not worthy of being selected in that spot you then look to move back, and the process starts over again in the new slot. This is of course assuming they can work a trade.

So, my answer would be no. It generally would not generate a bad draft provided the teams board is in line with the players actual ceilings. The less positions of need you include the more likely you are to have a below average draft. (Obviously, a team like the 49ers with few true needs would be open to drafting just about anyone who has the highest grade)

Where the problems arise is when a draft is weak at a particular position, and it aligns with a pressing need on your team. So do you draft the 2nd best CB, when you know the 4th best G is a far superior player? This is where teams get in trouble.

Not staying true to their board. The Pat White pick comes to mind. You know they fell in love with his skillset for the WC, rather then his actual grade. If Warmack is there, and the highest rated player on their board...he should be the selection without hesitation.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:58 am 

We might be looking for a tackle or guard. They could be BPA. If Cordarelle slides due to a poor combine performance and none of the WR are rated top 15 I could see an O lineman being our pick.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:35 am 

CarsonChris wrote:
We might be looking for a tackle or guard. They could be BPA. If Cordarelle slides due to a poor combine performance and none of the WR are rated top 15 I could see an O lineman being our pick.

Not me. If we don't have a DE that we think is a playmaking stud slide to us then I want a TE. I don't want yet another O-lineman.

I would literally rather trade down to the second round and get more picks than to draft another O-lineman and I don't want to trade down so...............

Profile E-mail