By the fans, For the fans!
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Miami Dolphins 2013 Draft Scenario’s
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:52 am 
Site Columnist

Miami Dolphins 2013 Draft Scenario’s

http://finnation.com/miami-dolphins-201 ... scenarios/

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on FriendFeedShare on DiggShare on MySpaceShare on DeliciousShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Miami Dolphins 2013 Draft Scenario’s
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:39 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Max. Great read!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:29 pm 

I think my draft scenerio is the way we go. I think Smith and Long are both out of here. They are asking way to much for too little performance. This draft has a plethora of talent at tackle. NFL pundits are writing about how this OT draft talent pool is going to make it hard for the FA OT to get paid. Since there are six or seven OT that project as round 1-2 talents I believe Miami will use it's first pick to solidify the secondary. Millner will most likely be gone and that means our pick would be Johnthan Banks. Ross has also made it clear he wants playmakers/receivers. The talent pool here is great in the second round. I see a receiver being taken as our second selection. Then we have the void at tackle. Our 2nd 2nd round pick will be a tackle. Third round will see us draft a pass rusher. The best available will be Tank Caradine. He slides due to injury. The #1 tackler for FSU. Is larger than his pass rushing counter part Werner. Projects as a 4-3 DE. 11 sacks last year.

On draft day your breakdown of players will be useful. A good list to see who's there when we pick.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:06 pm 
Site Columnist

Carson, thanks for the reply. So you would more identify with Scenario 2? Where Jake Long leaves and Jonathan Martin shifts to LT, thereby allowing us to get RT in 2nd or 3rd, and gives us the opportunity to look at CB in the first if Sean Smith leaves.

Question assuming LT Luke Joeckel, Eric Fisher and Lane Johnson go off the board in the first... after those 3 is there a particular LT you feel confident about in 2nd or 3rd rounds?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:15 pm 
Site Admin

I tend to agree with CC in that if Long leaves, I look for Miami to shift Martin to the left side. Maybe also slide Incognito to the right side.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:20 pm 
Site Columnist

JLFINFAN wrote:
I tend to agree with CC in that if Long leaves, I look for Miami to shift Martin to the left side. Maybe also slide Incognito to the right side.

I think we are in consensus that Scenario 2 is the way we extract the most value if (when) Jake Long leaves. Moving Jonathan Martin over to Left Tackle allows us to look at the OT position in 2nd and 3rd rather than in the 1st. I see a drop off at the LT position after Lane Johnson.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:01 pm 

My dream scenerio is Eric Fischer sliding into the second round. About a month ago I had us taking Aboushi with our third pick. I believe Ireland was scouting at Virginia towards the end of the season.

Having 5 picks in the top 100 of the draft is huge. How we use them is huge. Taking into consideration need and availability. Lots of tackles, lots of receivers, not many lock down CB. Is DE a huge need? I think Miami wants to develop it's two picks from last year so I don't see DE being the selection.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:19 pm 

Yet another great write up Max.

You and NYF are nailing it in the draft news. Maybe my schedule will pick up soon and I can help out.

I think you did a great job with the scenarios and I am siding with CC not to mention did you guys think that when Jake walks we may draft a T that looks better at LT than Martin does?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:28 pm 

Haven't had a chance to read the latest from Max, but looking forward to it!

I'll just say that I am not in favor of using a high pick on a RT.

I'd definitely keep Martin at LT. At RT, I'd re-sign Garner and let him fight it out with either Jerry, a rookie (round 4 or 5) or a cheap FA. Yeatman may also be in the mix.

We've spent tons of money and high picks on the OL - it's time to start using those resources on playmakers.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:55 pm 

Two of the most elite lines in the NFL met in the super bowl this year. Both teams have a lot of 1st and 2nd round draft picks on the line. I have no problem drafting a lineman in the first or second round. Our problem isn't where we draft these guys it's how they play or fail to play. Long, if he is gone, is a bad draft pick. His selection wasn't bad and there was a reason for it. The problem is his longevity for the team. Here we are 5 years later looking at replacing him. A selection that high needs to lock the position down for ten years with no questions about the ability of the player. Martin being selected in the second round isn't a bad pick. It's how he played as a rookie. I still question his ability to lock down the position for the next 8-10 years. Pouncey is the only one of the high draft picks that looks like it was a good decision. Longevity in key positions is also a key to success in the NFL. Most of our players wash out. We were a very young team last year. We have had a high turnover rate. That process is still continuing. I expect Long to be gone. That leaves us with two high draft picks on the line. Martin and Pouncey. Jerry was a third rounder and I don't consider that high. The other players are people we brought in in FA or trades.

Profile E-mail