By the fans, For the fans!
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Best off-season plan belongs to??
JMP 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
FFM 31%  31%  [ 5 ]
Caleb 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
hypocritex 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
Finfan33 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Degarmo 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Finsfan4ever 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
NYF 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
CarsonChris 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 16
 Post subject: The GM Game: NOW VOTING
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:46 pm 
Optimistic Overlord

You're strapped under the same parameters as the Dolphins this offseason. YOU are the GM. What MOVES do you make in FA and then the draft. Why?

Based on their off-season plans seen in this thread. Which FinNation member do you feel you would appoint as our honorary GM?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on FriendFeedShare on DiggShare on MySpaceShare on DeliciousShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The GM Game
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:54 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4866

Here's mine. WR may be different but it's how I view this draft. I've also seen Vicarro as our pick at 12. Replace my CB with Vicarro and it's the same draft.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:58 pm 

Nice job, Carson.

One note: no way Eric Fischer drops to round 2. I think he's a top 10 pick, maybe top 5.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:11 pm 

JMP wrote:
Nice job, Carson.

One note: no way Eric Fischer drops to round 2. I think he's a top 10 pick, maybe top 5.

Even with the small school pedigree? I know people like him and I've seen him in moch drafts going from top ten to somewhere in the first. There's always a slider. Look how many OT there are in this draft. Lane Johnson, Kyle Long, Dallas Thomas, and DJ Fluker. That's a lot of 1st and 2nd round talent. I just don't see that many OT going in round one. One will be available and some will slide.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:26 pm 
Optimistic Overlord

Good stuff Carson. Jmp.. Curious to hear yours. And I'd also very much like for MOW to participate in the game for once instead of screaming from the stands ;)

FFM, JL, NYF come on guys. FF4ever?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:41 pm 
Lead Moderator

I'll bite. I don't have time for a full process at this point, so I'll start writing some thoughts and edit in additions later.

First, Miami's existing free agents:
I definitely re-sign the following restricted free agents: Devlin, Spitler, and Marlon Moore.

Depending on what coach Philbin wants, I may or may not re-sign Amaya, Mastrud, McCann, Brown, or Stanford.

I definitely do not re-sign LT Long or CB Smith. Too much money for the production.

Offer Starks and Clemons below market deals with incentives before FA starts. If I sign them, great. If not (which probably happens), I wait to see what other folks are willing to pony up and evaluate if I want to match or beat it. Doubtful, unless the market comes in low.

Culver, Kaeding, and Matt Moore are gone. I think Reggie Bush can contribute, but it's obvious that he isn't in Coach Philbin's plans and let him leave.

Fasano is a tough choice. He isn't dynamic enough for the passing game, but is a solid contributor. I probably let him test free agency and see what it would take to keep him. I think however I would commit these funds to going after an upgrade in free agency.

G/T Garner... I think I want to keep Garner if I can get him cheap enough OR on a deal that won't cost me a fortune if I cut him (e.g. low signing bonus, but maybe higher salary).

That leaves Hartline, the toughest choice. I think I start off offering Hartline a nice contract, but probably not what he'd get if he hits free agency. Say a 4 year deal with a $8 mil signing bonus with annual salaries of $2 mil, $3 mil, $4 mil. In the 4th year give him a guaranteed $5 mil roster bonus and $4 mil salary - meaning Miami has to decide early if they want to keep him, renegotiate, or release him - either way meaning some good money for Hartline. Hartline gets good money upfront, but his annual cap hit is only $4 mil, $5, and $6 mil in the first three years. Good but not crazy money. I doubt his agent bites. If negotiations with Jennings/Wallace go well, I probably don't sweat this. But if those negotiations go poorly, I probably up my offer to Hartline because it's better to keep him then have a hole created.

Signing other free agents:
*pending*

Draft
*pending*

Trades
*pending*

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:02 pm 

I'll add one late round draft pick or FA to the list. A kicker to replace Carpenter. I think Ireland knows that Carpenter is going to want a bigger pay day at the end of 2013. I just don't see us placing a high value dollar on a FG kicker. His 2.68 million this year is almost 2 mil over the average kickers pay. I could see us signing or drafting another kicker and cutting Carpenter. Although I'm not sure how the cut would affect us with dead money?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:21 pm 
Site Admin

FFM wrote:
I'll bite. I don't have time for a full process at this point, so I'll start writing some thoughts and edit in additions later.

First, Miami's existing free agents:
I definitely re-sign the following restricted free agents: Devlin, Spitler, and Marlon Moore.

Agreed.

Quote:
Depending on what coach Philbin wants, I may or may not re-sign Amaya, Mastrud, McCann, Brown, or Stanford.

I doubt I resign any of them.....maybe league minimum deal for camp fodder.

Quote:
I definitely do not re-sign LT Long or CB Smith. Too much money for the production.

Agree with this....though I might offer Smith a deal a little below average with incentives.....doubt he takes it.

Quote:
Offer Starks and Clemons below market deals with incentives before FA starts. If I sign them, great. If not (which probably happens), I wait to see what other folks are willing to pony up and evaluate if I want to match or beat it. Doubtful, unless the market comes in low.

Starks can walk, but I would look to resign Clemons....unless I can get someone like Laron Landry

Quote:
Culver, Kaeding, and Matt Moore are gone. I think Reggie Bush can contribute, but it's obvious that he isn't in Coach Philbin's plans and let him leave.

I absolutely keep Moore. $2-4 million for a decent back up QB? Absolutely I try to resign him.

Quote:
Fasano is a tough choice. He isn't dynamic enough for the passing game, but is a solid contributor. I probably let him test free agency and see what it would take to keep him. I think however I would commit these funds to going after an upgrade in free agency.

Here is your bus ticket....

Quote:
G/T Garner... I think I want to keep Garner if I can get him cheap enough OR on a deal that won't cost me a fortune if I cut him (e.g. low signing bonus, but maybe higher salary).

That leaves Hartline, the toughest choice. I think I start off offering Hartline a nice contract, but probably not what he'd get if he hits free agency. Say a 4 year deal with a $8 mil signing bonus with annual salaries of $2 mil, $3 mil, $4 mil. In the 4th year give him a guaranteed $5 mil roster bonus and $4 mil salary - meaning Miami has to decide early if they want to keep him, renegotiate, or release him - either way meaning some good money for Hartline. Hartline gets good money upfront, but his annual cap hit is only $4 mil, $5, and $6 mil in the first three years. Good but not crazy money. I doubt his agent bites. If negotiations with Jennings/Wallace go well, I probably don't sweat this. But if those negotiations go poorly, I probably up my offer to Hartline because it's better to keep him then have a hole created.

Ditto all this.....though I would like to get a guy like Wallace AND bring back Hartline if the salary is reasonable.

Also, I think Bush is probably gone as well....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:02 pm 

Quote:
Even with the small school pedigree?

Yep. Fischer is the best tackle in this class, and I don't think it's close. He was dominant in the one-on-ones at the Senior Bowl, against some damn good pass rushers. He's the real deal...aad that's why I hope he does go top 10, because I don't think Fireland would pass on him.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:33 pm 

Love this thread by the way.

I let Marlon Moore go. He's been here four years and can't get on the field as a starter. Time to cut bait. Matt Moore is a cheap backup but wants to play. Let him go. Miami needs to draft and develop some of it's own backup QB's. Landry Jones is a big armed QB that may develop into someone that we can trade in the future or even compete with Tannehill 4th to 6th round player. Let's not forget that we've searched for a franchise QB for a long time. Just because Tannehill was drafted at 8 doesn't mean he gets annointed. He needs to prove it on the field. So far he's been more Henne than Marino.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next